Fleet Management Checklist
The list below compiled by Compare Fleet Insurance is not exhaustive, but you can treat it as a good starting point to review your existing company fleet management procedures and policies.
- 1Do you have a supplier lease agreement in place for acquisition of company vehicles?
- 2Is vehicle safety and cost of repair a factor in purchase decisions?
- 3Do you consider the insurance category during the purchase process?
- 4Do you have a vehicle replacement arrangement with the fleet supplier or company in charge of vehicle maintenance and repair?
- 1Have you appointed one person with the necessary skill set to manage the company fleet?
- 2Are staff members made aware of their responsibilities in regards to your fleet policy?
- 3Are all drivers fully aware of the consequences for not following company policy?
Company Fleet Policy
- 1Has senior management endorsed the company fleet running policy including the company fleet insurance policy?
- 2Does your staff induction program include education on the company fleet policy and an employee's responsibilities?
Driver Training & Education
- 1Do you have a driver improvement education program?
- 2Do you employ software to detect and inform on areas for driver improvement?
- 3Do you monitor drivers with higher than normal accident rates, do you provide additional training for these identified drivers?
Inspection and regular Maintenance
- 1Have your drivers been trained on carrying out regular safety and vehicle maintenance checks?
- 2Do you maintain a history of maintenance and repair at vehicle level?
- 3Do you outsource vehicle fleet repair to a national company?
- 4Do you have separate agreements for specialist repair service take for example windscreen repair?
- 5Are drivers expected to perform checks prior to taking vehicles out each day, take for example head and tail light checks, tyre checks and fluid level checks.
In summary following the above checklist will ensure that you focus on the important elements of fleet management, but it is not exhaustive.
Submit your review
We also find that outsourcing some aspects of fleet maintenenace such as windscreen repair cost effective saving us both money and vehicle downtime.